Human Rights Commission (HRC)
- Carla Johnson, Chair,
- Adam Buttress,
- Jonathan Burris,
- Teresa Martin,
- Susan Phelps,
- Michael Pristash,
- Andrew Ramlet, student,
- Chantell Knauss, Assistant City Manager
Advises, recommends, and assists Council in matters of human rights. Seven regular members and two student members. The mission of the Golden Valley HRC is to help promote and nourish a safe, respectful, and welcoming community.
HRC Meeting Day & Time
- When: 6:30 pm, fourth Tuesday of each month (unless other notice is given)
- Where: City Hall Council Conference Room, Golden Valley City Hall, 7800 Golden Valley Road (unless otherwise noted)
HRC meetings will be canceled due to lack of an agenda if there is no business to be discussed or if there is no quorum.
Minutes & Agendas
Minutes and agendas are posted here as soon as they become available. Minutes remain subject to approval at the next HRC meeting.
- January 27 Agenda | Minutes
- February 24 Agenda | Minutes
- March 26 Agenda | Minutes (Thursday, at Perpich Center For Arts Education)
- April 28 Agenda | Minutes
- May 26 Agenda | Minutes (Covenant Village Community Room)
- June 23 Agenda | Minutes
- July 28 Agenda | Minutes
- August 25 Agenda | Minutes
- September 29 Agenda | Minutes
- October 27 Agenda | Minutes
- November 24 Agenda | Minutes
- December 22 Agenda | Minutes
- January 28 (Thursday) Agenda | Minutes (Manager's Conference Room)
- February 23 Agenda | Minutes (Manager's Conference Room)
- March 22 Agenda | Minutes (Manager's Conference Room)
- April 26 Agenda | Minutes (Manager's Conference Room)
- May 23 (Monday) Agenda | Minutes
- June 28 Agenda | Minutes
- July 26 Agenda | Minutes
- August 23 Agenda | Minutes
- September 27 Agenda | Minutes
- October 25 Agenda | Minutes
- November 22 Agenda | Minutes
- December 27 Agenda | Minutes
- HRC Conversations
- Bill Hobbs Human Rights Award
- "Toward A More Perfect Union: Talking About The Constitution" Series (A 2014 community conversation presented by the Golden Valley League of Women Voters in partnership with the City of Golden Valley, Hennepin County Library, and Golden Valley Human Rights Commission)
- We All Count Competition Promoting the 2010 Census
Apply to serve on the Human Rights Commission
Golden Valley residents who are interested in serving on the HRC should fill out and submit the Advisory Boards and Commissions Application.
History of HRC Task Force
In June 2012, the Golden Valley City Council appointed a 19-member public task force to solicit feedback from residents on the need for a Human Rights Commission as an advisory body to the Council (get full story here).
Through community dialogue, the HRC Task Force assessed the need for and scope of a Human Rights Commission as an advisory board to the Golden Valley City Council. The City Council received and filed the HRC Task Force Report and Recommendation at its Dec 18, 2012 meeting.
Mission And Responsibilities
- Review duties and responsibilities of the Minnesota State and City of Golden Valley Human Rights Commissions and their histories.
- Make a recommendation to the City Council as to the best way(s) to foster inclusiveness and cultural awareness for the City of Golden Valley and whether or not the best way(s) involve a City Human Rights Commission.
- If it is recommended that a City Human Rights Commission is needed, establish the Commission's mission and responsibilities and how it should be organized (eg, as a Commission or informally, with interested volunteers coordinating events and activities).
Task Force Members