Voting & Elections
- Primary Election Day: Aug 12, 2014
- General Election Day: Nov 4, 2014
Polls are open from 7 am and 8 pm.
2014 State Elections
On The Ballot For 2014
- US Senator
- US Representative
- State Representatives
- Governor/Lt. Governor
- Secretary of State
- State Auditor
- Attorney General
2014 Golden Valley Elections Calendar
- June 27: Absentee voting for the Primary Election begins (Monday-Friday, 8 am-4:30 pm).
- July 22: Pre-registration deadline for the Primary Election closes at 5 pm. Voters are encouraged to pre-register to vote to avoid long lines at the polling place. Voters who miss the deadline may register at their polling place on Election Day.
- Aug 9: Absentee voting Saturday prior to Election Day, 10 am-3 pm.
- Aug 11: Absentee voting available until 5 pm.
- Aug 12: State Primary; polls open 7 am-8 pm.
- Sept 19: Absentee voting for General Election begins (Monday-Friday, 8 am-4:30 pm).
- Oct 14: Pre-registration deadline for the General Election closes at 5 pm. Voters are encouraged to pre-register to vote to avoid long lines at the polling place. Voters who miss the deadline may register at their polling place on Election Day.
- Nov 1: Absentee voting Saturday prior to Election Day, 10 am-3 pm.
- Nov 3: Absentee voting available until 5 pm.
- Nov 4: General Election; polls open 7 am-8 pm.
State and Federal Elections
State and Federal elections are held in even-numbered years. Primary elections are held on the first Tuesday after the second Monday in August. General elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
2015 Municipal (City) Elections
Golden Valley holds municipal elections in odd-numbered years and does not hold municipal primary elections. The City’s five elected officials include a Mayor (four-year term) and four Council Members (four-year terms are staggered so only two members are elected at each municipal election). Council Members serve at large and represent the entire city. All offices are nonpartisan.
Running For City Office
Persons interested in running for City Council for the 2015 municipal election are able to file for office with the City Clerk in the upper level of City Hall starting July 28, 2015 (office hours: 8 am–4:30 pm, Monday–Friday). Filing closes Aug 11, 2015, at 5 pm. Candidates who file for office have until Aug 13 at 5 pm to withdraw from the election.
Offices up for election in 2015 are:
- one mayor for a term of four years commencing Jan 1 2016 and expiring Dec 31, 2019
- two council members for a term of four years commencing Jan 1 2016 and expiring Dec 31, 2019
To register for public office in the City of Golden Valley, candidates must:
- live in the city of Golden Valley and be a qualified voter therein
- be 21 years of age or older upon assuming office
- have established residency in the City at least 30 days before election day
- not have filed for any other office in the current election
- pay a $5 filing fee or present a petition with the signatures of eligible voters in lieu of the filing fee (Minnesota Statute 204B.07-204B.11)
- file a personal financial disclosure with the Golden Valley Elections and Voter Registration Office within 14 calendar days of filing their candidacy (candidates receive a packet on campaign reporting requirements and financial disclosure reporting requirements when they file for office)
- provide information requested by the City that will be made available to the public.