Views of the Valley Photo Contest
Frame, focus, click, and capture the beauty of your surroundings for the Views of the Valley photo contest. People, places, buildings, landscapes—as long as it’s in the city limits, it’s game. Celebrating Golden Valley since 1993!
The deadline for the 2017 Photo Contest is June 9, 2017 at 4:30 pm.
- You must be a Golden Valley resident (City employees and their families are not eligible to enter).
- Submit up to three color or black-and-white photo finish prints.
- Include complete entry information for each. Be sure to indicate the category.
- For the 25th Annual Photo Contest in 2017, categories will honor the City’s upcoming 2040 Comprehensive Plan, which is scheduled for publication in 2018 and will feature as many photos from the contest as possible (take a look at the 2030 Comprehensive Plan here).
Submit each photo in one of three categories:
- Land Use and Parks
- Housing and Transportation
- Water and Sustainability
- All entries submitted must be your own work.
- Do not submit slides, photocopies, or prints that aren't on photo-quality paper.
- Digital files must be accompanied by a print on photo-quality paper.
- All photos must be trimmed to 5x7.
- Do not mat or frame photos.
- All decisions will be final, and judges reserve the right not to award in any category.
- The City of Golden Valley will not be responsible for lost entries.
- The contest organizers reserve the right to re-categorize or disqualify any entrant.
- If there are identifiable people in the photo and it was taken in a non-public space, it is the responsibility of the photographer to obtain permission to use the photo. Photo Release Form
Entrants must agree to let the City of Golden Valley publish entered photos in City publications with proper credit. All photo entries become the property of the City of Golden Valley and are not returned.
All entries are displayed in City Hall throughout the summer.
Mail or drop off completed entries to:
City of Golden Valley
7800 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55427
Entries will be judged on subject matter, composition, clarity, lighting, depth of field, artistry/drama, degree of difficulty, technical excellence, overall impact. The judges also appreciate creative photo titles.
The public will be allowed to vote online June 13-24 for the People's Choice award.
The Overall Grand prize is an additional $50. The First Place prize in each of the three categories is $50. The People's Choice prize is $25. Winning photos will be published in CityNews and the City website. Winners will also receive certificates of appreciation. All entries will be displayed in City Hall.
Featured photos: "Golden Valley Fountain," by Richard Gunderson (2007); "Dragonfly At Rest," by Kate Larson (2010), and "Golden Valley Days" by Richard Gunderson (2007)