Pet Ordinance & Dog License
Complete rules for keeping pets in Golden Valley are found in City Code Chapter 10, Section 10.30.
- Cat owners are required to have their cat(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the cat's collar.
- City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three cats.
- As of January 1, 2012, the City of Golden Valley no longer requires licenses for dogs.
- Dog owners are required to have their dog(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the dog's collar.
- Whenever a dog is off its owner's property, it must be restrained by a leash no longer than six feet. Dogs restrained by voice commands as effectively as a leash are exempt from the leash rule except in public parks, where all dogs must be leashed at all times.
- City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three dogs.
Owners shall not allow their pets (dogs or cats) to foul any lawn, garden, or other property and are required to carry supplies for excrement removal when walking their pets. Any mess made by a pet must be cleaned up (including in public parks).
It is unlawful for anyone to keep a dog or cat that barks, howls, or meows excessively or continuously. This includes any noise by any dog or cat that can be:
- heard by any person from a location outside of the building where the animal is kept AND
- occurs repeatedly over at least a five-minute period of time, with less than 30 seconds between each animal noise
Report A Missing Pet
If you would like to list your pet as being lost, contact the Golden Valley Police Department at 763-593-8079 or email@example.com. Found pets are kept at the City's animal impound facility. If not claimed in seven days, they are transferred to the Golden Valley Humane Society.