Project Permit Applications, Forms, & Fees
Building permits are required for a number of home building, remodeling, or repair projects, including:
- construction of a shed greater than 120 square feet
- garages or room additions and porches
- decks or gazebos
- swimming pools (also requires a Stormwater Management Permit)
- window replacement
- retaining walls higher than 48 inches above grade (also requires a Stormwater Management Permit)
- re-roofing (You can apply online for re-roof/tear-off and re-roof/flat roof permits.)
- re-siding and stucco work (You can apply online for re-siding and stucco permits.)
- interior remodeling (plumbing and mechanical permits may also be required)
- demolition (permit requirements, checklist, requirements for leaving a well, MPCA forms/handouts)
Read about the permit process for residential building permits.
Some projects require permits for tree preservation or stormwater management. You must obtain those permits before the City will issue a Building Permit.
For remodeling, alterations, or repairs, the City requires two sets of plans showing window sizes, room sizes, ceiling heights, doors, exits, and stairways (minimum scale: 1/4 inch = 1 foot).
For new construction or additions, the City requires:
- two sets of plans showing window sizes, room sizes, ceiling heights, doors, exits, and stairways (minimum scale: 1/4 inch = 1 foot)
- one surveyors certificate signed by a Minnesota licensed surveyor (building must be shown on survey)
- exterior envelope calculations (forms available from Inspections Department)
- roof truss design signed by a Minnesota engineer
- soil test results
Electrical permits cover installation of electrical wiring. Inspections are done through the City's electrical inspector. To make an appointment, call 763-390-9255 between 7 - 8:30 am, Monday through Friday.
Plumbing Permit & Forms
Plumbing permits cover installation or replacement of plumbing for toilets, bathtubs, sinks, floor drains, water heaters, showers, garbage disposals, backflow preventers for underground sprinkler systems, and dishwashers.
ROW (Driveway, Curb Cut, or Boulevard) Permits
Right-of-Way (ROW) Permits are required for driveways (to dig holes, install, or restore ANY driveway within 15 feet of the street) and right-of-way work (to place fences, shrubs, trees, flower gardens, retaining walls, or lawn irrigation systems in the right-of-way between one's property and the street).
Homeowners and/or contractors are required to submit a scale drawing of the proposed project. After a staff review, the City will either issue a permit or deny the request.
For complete information, contact Public Works at 763-593-8030.
Stormwater Management Permits are required for land-disturbing activities that remove soils or vegetation, including but not limited to clearing, digging, dredging, draining, or filling (see specifics below).
Return the completed Stormwater Management Permit application to:
Golden Valley Public Works
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427
Specific projects requiring a Stormwater Management Permit include:
- activities that disturb more than 4,000 square feet of soils or vegetation
- any activity that would involve construction, installation, demolition, modification or expansion of a building foundation wall
- construction or demolition of a swimming pool
- construction or demolition of a retaining wall of sufficient height to require a building permit
- any land disturbing activities within City right-of-way that have a duration greater than 72 hours and which are not covered by a right-of-way excavation, utility, or plumbing permit
- cutting, filling, disposal, hauling in, or storage of more than 30 cubic yards of soil
- construction, reclamation, expansion, removal, or modification of a parking lot
- construction, expansion, or modification of a stormwater quality treatment facility or stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs)
- any land-disturbing activities within the 100-year floodplain or calculated high water level of any water body, or immediately adjacent to any wetland or public water body, including shoreline restoration and creek bank stabilization
- those activities required to meet “Level 1 standards” and “Non-degradation standards” of the Bassett Creek Watershed Management Commission (BCWMC) as set forth in the current version of BCWMC’s Requirements for Improvements and Development Proposals as amended from time to time
Questions? Contact Public Works at 763-593-8030.
Previously Issued Permits
To find permits issued from 1995 to present, go to the e-permits application page, click "Search for Permits," and fill in the house number and street address of the property.
Returning The Application
Unless otherwise noted, return completed application, any required documents or plans, and appropriate fee to:
City of Golden Valley Inspections Department
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427