Steps For Sump Pump Inspection
1. Verify Need For Certification
Call the City at 763-593-8030 to verify that your property is in need of certification before beginning the sump pump inspection process.
2. Submit Application and Pay Fee
The application fee is $50 for residential properties.
- By Mail or In Person: You can submit your application and fee paid by check via mail or in person at the Public Works Department in City Hall.
- Online: Applications may also be submitted online and the fee paid by credit card.
3. Schedule Inspection
Call 763-593-8030 between 8 am and 4 pm to schedule an inspection. Provide permit number, if application was submitted online, and at least 24-hour advance notice.
- The appointment will take approximately a half hour for residential properties.
- A responsible adult must be present at all times during the inspection.
4. Prepare For Inspection
Before the inspection, the property owner must do the following:
- If you have a sump pump, make sure it is accessible for inspection.
- Make sure the sump pump discharge piping is visible.
5. Wait For Review
Allow up to five working days for the City to review the inspection video and issue a compliance certificate or correction notice.
If problems are found
- You will receive a correction notice from the City identifying the problem(s). City Code requires repairs to be completed within 180 days.
- Correct the problems (getting the correct inspections for the work done along the way) and call the Public Works Department to schedule another sump pump inspection.