Subdivision Regulation

The act of splitting one lot into two or more lots in known as subdivision. In Golden Valley, this action requires approval by the City Council. A property owner wishing to subdivide a residential lot must submit information to the City for review. If the standards established in the City Code are met, the City must approve the subdivision.

The subdivision process does not allow for the review or approval of the location or design of any new structures. It does, however, define the building envelope, or area within the lot where a future home may be built.

Chapter 109 of the Golden Valley City Code outlines specific requirements for subdivisions.

City Requirements

For each subdivision proposal, the City requires the applicant to notify by mail all neighbors within 500 feet or to hold a neighborhood meeting at which the proposal can be discussed.

All residential lots proposed for subdivision must have an existing tree survey conducted by a certified tree inspector or landscape architect. This allows all significant trees to be cataloged in advance of future development. Removal of significant trees as part of the construction of a new home may trigger the need for replacement trees.

Subdivision proposals require that public hearings be held in front of the Planning Commission and the City Council. At these meetings, members of the public may ask questions, raise concerns, or voice support for a proposal. All properties within 500 feet of the site will be notified by mail of meeting dates and times.

City Standards*

Two main requirements must be met to subdivide a residential lot:

  1. New lots being created must be a minimum of 80 feet wide at the front setback line and maintain that width 70 feet into the lot. This assures there is adequate room for a new home to be built.
  2. Each new lot must have the minimum amount of lot area required. For most properties this will be 10,000 square feet. For properties in neighborhoods with many large lots, the requirement may be increased to 15,000 square feet if certain criteria hold true. The City uses computer software to determine the required minimum lot size.

The City also examines:

  • the presence of steep slopes or wetlands on the property
  • the availability of sewer and water connections
  • review by outside jurisdictions such as Hennepin County, MnDOT, the DNR, or the Bassett Creek Water Management Commission

*  The dimensions described above are for properties zoned Single Family Residential (R-1). The dimensions of lots zoned Moderate Density Residential (R-2) vary slightly.

Survey Requirements

When surveys are required, they must be prepared by a registered land surveyor licensed in the Minnesota and include the following information:

  • north arrow
  • for single family residential properties, a clearly drawn scale of 1 inch = 30 feet
  • illustration key showing symbols for all information pertaining to lot and building design, including grades, easements, lot and block, set backs, etc
  • subject property’s legal description, boundary lines, lot and block numbers, lot lines, right-of-way lines, and all recorded easements
  • street names
  • clearly shown flood elevations and locations, if the property is within or adjacent to a 100-year floodplain (flood control policy requires that all damageable property and all floor elevations be located a minimum of 1 foot above flood plain elevation)
  • location of all existing and proposed buildings, structures, paved areas and other man made features (structures are considered, but not limited to, homes, garages, decks, porches, sheds, gazebos, swimming pools, and fences)
  • location of any buildings on adjacent properties relative to the side(s) where the construction will take place.
  • all existing and proposed building and structure setbacks (if the property is in a Shoreland Overlay District, as defined in City Code Section 113-149, shoreland setbacks and the Ordinary High Water Mark (OHWM) must also be shown)

The survey shall be provided on paper at a minimum size of 8 ½ x 11. If the survey is larger than 11 x 17, the applicant will supply seven copies.

As-Built Survey

For construction of a new home or building, a certified As-Built Survey verifying the information indicated on the proposed survey shall be submitted before a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.

Additional information may need to be shown on the survey and As-Built Survey to satisfy requirements of other permits. Contact the Engineering Division in City Hall (763-593-8030) for information about the following permits:

  • Grading, Drainage and Erosion Control
  • Right-of-Way
  • Tree Preservation