City Elections & Financial Reports
Golden Valley holds municipal elections in odd-numbered years and does not hold municipal primary elections. The City's five elected officials include a Mayor (four-year term) and four Council Members (four-year terms are staggered so only two members are elected at each municipal election). Council Members serve at large and represent the entire city. All offices are nonpartisan.
Running for City Office
Persons interested in running for City Council for the 2023 municipal election are able to file for office with the City Clerk in the upper level of City Hall starting July 25, 2023 (office hours: 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday). Filing closes August 8, 2023, at 5 pm. Candidates who file for office have until August 10 at 5 pm to withdraw from the election.
Offices up for election in 2021 are:
- Mayor and two council members for a term of four years commencing January 1, 2024 and expiring December 31, 2027
To register for public office in the City of Golden Valley, candidates must:
- live in Golden Valley and be a qualified voter therein
- be 21 years of age or older upon assuming office
- have established residency in the City at least 30 days before election day
- not have filed for any other office in the current election
- submit a complete affidavit of candidacy (PDF) during the filing period
- pay a $5 filing fee or present a petition with the signatures of eligible voters (PDF) in lieu of the filing fee (Minnesota Statute 204B.07-204B.11)
- file a personal financial disclosure (PDF) with the Golden Valley Elections and Voter Registration Office within 14 calendar days of filing their candidacy (included in Candidate Information Packet received when filing for office)
- provide information requested by the City that will be made available to the public
Candidate Financial Reports
Minnesota Statue 211A.02, Subd. 6 now requires the City to make all campaign finance reports (PDF) that are required to be filed available on the City's website. Reports will be posted no later than 30 days after they are received and will be available on this website for four years from the date the report was posted. Candidates must file financial reports (PDF) when they have collected more than $750 in contributions or expended more than $750 in a calendar year. To view candidates' reports, follow this link to the City's public information portal where each candidate is listed in alphabetical order.