May 4, 2022 marks the one year anniversary of Golden Valley's Energy Action Plan adoption. In the last year the City has taken steps to reduce it's energy use and educate residents and businesses to do the same.
Home Energy Squad
Save money and energy with a visit from the Home Energy Squad®. Energy experts will conduct a home energy audit, and provide you with free materials to increase your home's energy efficiency.
The City of Golden Valley Is Paying Half the Cost for a Home Energy Squad Visit for Residents. Free Visits Are Available to Income-Qualified Households. Schedule a visit online or Call 651-328-6220.
Community Action Partnership
The Energy Assistance Program helps income-eligible households with bill payment assistance and energy crisis intervention. Call the Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County at 952-930-3541 or visit the Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County website to learn more.
- Federal Tax Credit: If you installed a solar system in 2020-2022, you get a 26 percent Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit. The incentive allows you to claim a 26 percent credit on your federal tax return for the costs of the system. Projects must be installed by Dec. 31, 2022.
- Xcel Energy’s Solar*Rewards®: Solar*Rewards is an incentivized program from Xcel Energy where annual payments are made to the owner of the solar system in exchange for Renewable Energy Credits for the energy produced by the solar system.
- Solar Financing: Up to $50,000 is available to help you pay for your solar system and there are no income limits.
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIREUSA): This database provides a complete list of financial incentives for solar systems from utility, state, county, and federal sources. Select your contractor and install your system
Rebates and Financing Options
- Utility rebates from Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy help reduce the upfront costs for equipment upgrades, including heating, cooling, and food service equipment.
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) makes it easy to invest in energy efficiency and renewable energy projects with no upfront costs. Building owners who use PACE pay back the loan through property taxes as a voluntary special assessment.
- Trillion BTU Financing can cover up to 100% of costs for eligible energy projects. The goal of the program is to create a positive cash flow payment schedule with energy savings exceeding the payment obligation.
- Commercial Energy Efficiency Loan Program provides up to $100,000 in financing to businesses making cost-effective energy efficiency improvements.
Save money and energy with a visit from Energy Smart. Energy experts will conduct a free whole-building energy audit and help businesses identify opportunities for savings.
The One-Stop Efficiency Shop helps small business customers identify opportunities to improve lighting and HVAC systems with a free assessment.
If you have a refrigeration system, you’ll also benefit from signing up for Xcel Energy’s Commercial Refrigeration Efficiency program, which offers free refrigeration assessments to help determine how to reduce energy use and costs.
If you are a large business customer, take Xcel Energy’s Energy Assessment Match questionnaire to find the assessment best for you. Visit xcelenergy.com/Business to get started.
Energy Hero Program
The Energy Hero Recognition Program acknowledges local businesses for taking steps to improve energy efficiency, reduce energy usage, increase renewable generation, or other practices that contribute to the City’s goals outlined in its Energy Action Plan.
Learn more and apply.