Looking For Summer Work? Check Us Out!
February 5, 2015
Each year the City of Golden Valley hires almost 100 seasonal employees to help with Brookview Golf Course, parks and recreation, athletics, and maintenance. This year the City is posting these position openings earlier than normal so people have a chance to interview over spring break. Those who get applications in by Feb 28 will have first consideration, but the City will continue to take applications into spring.
It’s a great opportunity, but a lot of people don’t realize the City hires seasonal staff, says Chantell Knauss, assistant city manager. These full-time positions work well for students looking to find summer work, and the part-time jobs work well to supplement other employment. Here are brief descriptions of available positions (several positions have more than one opening).
Parks & Recreation
- Playground Leader—Plan summer afternoon playground programs with a partner and work with youth specialty programs such as Preschool Programs, Drama Club, Hiking/Biking, etc.
- Assistant Playground Leader—Work with playground staff on programs with overflow registration.
- Athletic Instructor—Instruct youth ages 4–12 in various athletic programs. Be a positive role model, have patience, and have a non-competitive attitude and fun coaching philosophy.
- Assistant Athletic Instructor—Work with athletic staff on programs with overflow registration.
- Softball Umpires & Field Attendants—Umpires officiate at league and tournament softball games, and field attendants monitor recreation activities at athletic fields.
Brookview Golf Course
- Pro Shop—Collect fees, answer phones, sell merchandise, keep Pro Shop clean, open and secure building, assist with tournaments and leagues, provide limited food and beverage service, and other duties as assigned.
- Grill/Beverage Cart—Cook and serve fast food items, operate a cash register, clean grill area and stock supplies, sell food and beverages on the golf course, and other duties as assigned.
- Par 3 Attendant—Collect green fees, open and secure building, keep area clean, sell merchandise and beverages, answer phones and take reservations, start off and keep groups orderly, and other duties as assigned.
- Driving Range Attendant—Sell and clean golf balls and carts, operate cash register, open and secure buildings/equipment, drive picker vehicle and pick range daily, arrange and run golf carts daily, and other duties as assigned.
- Starter/Rangers—Check tickets, keep play moving smoothly, patrol and correct/enforce any rule infractions, arrange and run golf carts daily, and other duties as assigned.
- Custodian—Run golf carts as needed, pick up/remove trash, do light cleaning and minor repairs to buildings/grounds, wash golf carts every Monday and Friday, and other duties as assigned.
Maintenance workers perform routine tasks such as weeding, raking, watering, hand mowing, edging, shoveling, litter pick-up, and cleaning and repairing trails, grounds and other public facilities. They also prepare and maintain baseball and soccer fields and the golf course and assist other employees with other park, building, and right-of-way repair tasks and street, water, sewer, storm sewer, and golf course maintenance.
Seasonal positions are available in the City’s Parks, Streets, and Utilities (water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer) Maintenance Divisions and in the Brookview Golf Course Maintenance Division. All positions involve outdoor work and physical labor.
To apply or to get more information, visit www.goldenvalleymn.gov/jobs.