Nov 5-9 Is Minnesota Winter Hazard Awareness Week
Snow, ice, and freezing temperatures are just around the corner and the Golden Valley Fire Department wants to make sure all residents are properly prepared for the upcoming winter season. Each fall, Winter Hazard Awareness Week reminds people to take simple steps that lead to an enjoyable and safe winter season.
Winter Hazard Awareness Week is sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (MN DPS) in collaboration with the National Weather Service and features a week-long news and social media information campaign, highlighting different winter weather safety topics each day. Follow MN DPS on Twitter and Facebook and the City of Golden Valley’s social media accounts next week for winter hazard safety tips.
2018 Winter Hazard Awareness Week
- Mon, Nov 5 – Winter Weather Overview (ice storms, blizzards, sub-zero temperatures, winter weather watches warnings and wind chill)
- Tue, Nov 6 – Outdoor Winter Safety (safety on ice, snowmobile safety, hypothermia and frostbite)
- Wed, Nov 7 – Winter Fire Safety (winter and holiday fire safety, alternative heat sources, smoke detectors, cooking safety, candles and decorations)
- Thu, Nov 8 – Indoor Winter Safety (carbon monoxide, radon, mold and general home care)
- Fri, Nov 9 – Winter Driving (auto safety, snowplows, road conditions, using 5-1-1, winter driving tips and car survival kits)
For more information visit the MN DPS website.