Simple Holiday Recycling Tips To Help Minimize Your Waste
About 80 percent of what gets thrown away this time of year can be recycled or even reused, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Help Golden Valley minimize its waste with these simple steps.
Through holiday parties, decorations, and gifting, Americans create 25 percent more trash than average between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, equaling nearly 1,000 pounds of waste per household, according to Republic Services, the City’s recycling hauler. The following tips will help reduce waste this holiday season.
- Save and reuse gift bags, ribbons, and bows. This is smart for the environment and your wallet!
- When sending gifts in the mail, use old newspaper, magazines, bubble wrap, and foam peanuts to pack boxes.
- Always recycle wrapping paper unless it contains glitter or foil. Generally, the fancier the wrapping paper, the less recyclable it is.
- If you get a new device like a cell phone or tablet, do not throw away or recycle your old device in your curbside carts. Hennepin County’s website offers information about electronic recycling options in the area.
- bubble wrap
- ribbons and bows
- holiday lights
- foam packaging
- artificial trees and wreaths
For more recycling tips, visit www.recyclingsimplified.com.