Recycle Smart With Hennepin County
The rules about what can and can’t be recycled seem like they are constantly changing, and they more or less are. Staying informed is the best thing Golden Valley residents can do to make sure they’re recycling the correct items.
- Paper: mail, office papers, magazines, newspapers
- Boxes: cardboard boxes, cereal and cracker boxes, shoe boxes, toiletry boxes
- Plastic and glass bottles and jugs: soda bottles, milk jugs, shampoo bottles
- Cups and containers: yogurt cups, clear cups, cottage cheese containers, produce containers
- Metal: food and beverage cans
Items that are important to leave out of your recycling cart include:
- Plastic bags and large plastic items
- Random metal items
- Single-use paper plates, cups, utensils, and straws
- Electronics and batteries
- Needles and sharps
Overall, Minnesotans are good at recycling. They have significantly lower contamination rates than elsewhere in the country, and Minnesota state law prohibits materials separated and collected for recycling from being trashed.
So recycle smart by continuing to recycle the items that can go in your recycling cart and keeping problem items out.
Visit www.hennepin.us/recycling for more information.