City Provides Guidance To Residents Living On Flood-Prone Properties
April 3, 2020
Springtime can bring flooding to some neighborhoods and properties. The City of Golden Valley provides technical advice on flooding, drainage issues, and flood protection methods for buildings and properties.
Upon request, the City can also help determine or find:
- whether your property is in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on Hennepin County’s current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)
- whether your property is in an area known to flood but not mapped on a FIRM, or is in an area that flooded in the past
- whether your property is in or near an area with a natural floodplain function (such as a wetland)
- other historic flood information and studies
- a floodplain search letter or additional flood insurance data, such as the FIRM effective date, panel number, flood zone designation, and the Base Flood Elevation or depth, if shown on the map (a fee of $25 will be charged for a floodplain search letter signed by the City engineer)
- basic information regarding flood insurance requirements that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA
- elevation certificates for new and substantially improved structures in the SFHA
Visit the City website for tips to help protect your property from flooding.
This entry posted in | Physical Development