Governor Walz Extends Stay Home Order Until May 4
April 8, 2020
To continue Minnesota’s success in slowing the spread of COVID-19 across the state, on April 8 Governor Tim Walz signed Executive Order 20-33 extending the Stay Home Order until May 4.
The Governor’s order to stay home is forecasted to significantly slow the spread of COVID-19, pushing out the peak of the disease and allowing the state to continue key preparations for the pandemic, including
building new hospital capacity and buying ventilators and masks
planning for how to protect those most at risk
freeing up time for health care giants like the Mayo Clinic to develop critical treatments for the virus
Executive Order 20-33 also extends the closure of bars, restaurants, and other public accommodations through 11:59 pm on May 3, 2020 and outlines exemptions to the Stay Home Order, including exempted activities and critical sector workers.
Minnesotans may leave their residences only to perform the following activities (and while doing so practice social distancing):
- health and safety activities, such as obtaining emergency services or medical supplies
- outdoor activities, such as walking, hiking, running, biking, hunting, or fishing
- necessary supplies and services, such as getting groceries, gasoline, or carry-out
- essential and interstate travel, such as returning to a home from outside this state
- care of others, such as for a family member, friend, or pet in another household
- displacement, such as moving between emergency shelters if you are without a home
- relocation to ensure safety, such as moving to a different location if your home has been unsafe due to domestic violence, sanitation, or essential operations reasons
- moving or relocation, such as moving to a new home or place of residence
- voting, including all local and state elections
- funerals, provided that no more than 10 attendees are gathered and strict social distancing is enforced
- tribal activities and lands, such as activities by members within the boundaries of their tribal reservation
Critical Sector Workers
Executive Order 20-33 orders that all workers who can work from home must do so. Workers in critical sectors who cannot work from home are permitted to go to work. Guidance related to critical sectors is available at http://mn.gov/deed/critical/.
The Governor’s Executive Orders will have the full force and effect of law upon approval by the Executive Council.
Follow COVID-19 Updates
This entry posted in | Community