What Restaurants Need To Know About Reopening June 1

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz announced May 20 that restaurants and other places of social gathering, like bars and breweries, can open June 1 while following certain safety measures. In response, the City of Golden Valley will temporarily amend its zoning code and liquor license requirements to allow local restaurants to meet these new mandatory safety measures.

The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) identifies the key requirements of reopening restaurants June 1 as:

  • develop and implement a COVID-19 Preparedness Plan
  • open for outdoor dining or curbside pickup/delivery only
  • ensure at least 6 feet of distance with maximum on-premises capacity of no more than 50 persons
  • limit table service to 4 persons, or 6 if part of one family unit
  • require reservations; do not allow walk-in customers
  • require masks or face shields to be worn by workers and strongly recommend masks for all customers
  • establish regular disinfection routine and train workers

More guidance on safe reopening practices can be found on the DEED website.

Golden Valley Businesses

Temporary Outdoor Service Area Permit

For Golden Valley businesses that want to reopen amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, this application serves as a request to expand existing outdoor seating areas or to establish a temporary outdoor service area for aspects of the business that typically do not occur outside the building.

Due to the potential impacts of the temporary uses, each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The City reserves the right to deny an application or revoke/amend an approved permit if it determines the use may pose or is posing a safety or nuisance concern to the neighbors or general public.

To initiate a request, complete and submit the Temporary Outdoor Service Area Permit application. The City will process the request as quickly as possible; however, delays will result if some of the information is not provided.

Temporary Liquor License

Businesses serving alcohol outside as part of an outdoor dining area, or expanding an existing outdoor dining area that is already included in their liquor license premises, must obtain a Temporary Extension Of Licensed Premises For Existing Liquor License. While the outdoor dining area can be expanded before the temporary liquor license amendment is approved, alcohol cannot be served in this area until the amendment to the license is approved.

Temporary Assemblies & Tents Permit

Businesses looking to install a temporary structure, such as a tent, on their property must apply for a Temporary Assemblies & Tents Permit. All temporary structures over 400 square feet with sides and over 700 square feet with no sides require a permit. See requirements and a copy of the required Fire Permit Application below.

Click here to view the City’s Temporary Assemblies & Tents Permit Requirements.

Click here to download a Fire Permit Application.

Learn more on the City website.

This entry posted in | Community