Join A Conversation On City Equity July 28, 6 PM
July 26, 2020
The City of Golden Valley is hosting a virtual forum called “Building An Equitable Golden Valley,” July 28, 6–7:30 pm. Due to COVID-19, the forum will be held online using Webex and will be broadcast and live streamed online. Instructions for participating were published on the City website July 23.
The forum will provide an open space for community members to share, listen, and reflect on efforts to create equitable experiences for all Golden Valley residents and visitors while also processing the events that have happened over the last several months in Minneapolis and around the country.
Panelists will include Golden Valley Mayor Shep Harris, City Manager Tim Cruikshank, Police Chief Jason Sturgis, Rising TIDES Chair Joelle Allen, and Human Rights Commission member Kyle Scott. Amber Alexander, from the Rising TIDES Task Force, will moderate the forum.
Organizers compiled a list of things for participants to keep in mind during the event.
- Embrace All Perspectives
- Each perspective has the right be shared and heard.
- We don’t have to agree.
- Assume Positive Intent
- Take the time to ask questions and understand the experience that is informing a person’s point of view.
- Speak Your Truth
- Share your personal story, feelings, and experiences.
- Avoid generalizing, stereotyping, hypothetically speaking.
- Agree on the Goal, Be Flexible on the Solutions to Get There
- Many solutions can coexist.
For more on what Golden Valley is doing to be an equitable and inclusive City, visit the City website.