Happy National Voter Registration Day
September 22, 2020
Today is National Voter Registration Day, as is every fourth Tuesday of September. The City of Golden Valley wants to take this time to educate residents about how they can register to vote, if they have not already.
To be eligible to vote in Minnesota, you must:
- be at least 18 years old on election day
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding election day
- not be under a court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes the right to vote
- have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
- have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
You may pre-register to vote at any time except for the 20 days preceding an election. You may register:
- online at mnvotes.org
- by mail by completing a Voter Registration Card (also available at City Hall)
- in person at City Hall or the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S 6th St,
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Registering On Election Day
If you did not register before Election Day, residents can register at their polling place with a valid proof of residence.
Once you are registered to vote, you need not register again unless you move, change your name, or do not vote for four years. Check your voter registration status on the Secretary of State website.
For more about registering to vote and to learn how to vote, visit the Secretary of State website.