Join The Police Commission Task Force
September 30, 2020
If you are interested in helping shape the City’s new commission on policing, consider applying for the Police Commission Task Force by Oct 19, 2020, 4:30 pm.
The Task Force will advise the City Council regarding replacement of the existing Police Civil Service Commission with a new commission on policing. The Task Force will develop:
- a recommendation regarding the name, membership composition, and duties of a new commission on policing
- a proposed mission statement and bylaws to define the role of the new Commission
The Task Force shall consist of:
- two members from the existing Police Civil Service Commission
- one member each from the Human Rights Commission, the Rising Tides Task Force, and the Golden Valley Crime Prevention Fund
- two Golden Valley Police Officers (appointed by each of the two existing police unions)
- one social services provider who serves the Golden Valley community (individual or organization working in the field of mental health, youth advocacy, substance abuse, or homelessness)
- one member of the Golden Valley business community as an employee or business owner
- one individual, preferably a Golden Valley resident, with knowledge or experience of the defense side of the criminal justice system (for example, a criminal defendant or criminal defense attorney)
- two Golden Valley residents
- one youth age 21 or younger who either lives or attends school in Golden Valley
The goal is to recruit a diverse group of citizens who represent a variety of backgrounds, opinions, and experiences. If more applications are received than spots are available for any sector or group, the City will use the following criteria to select members:
- demonstrating understanding of policing in Golden Valley
- demonstrating expertise in law enforcement
- demonstrating commitment to relationship-building between community and law enforcement
The Task Force will be chaired by Council Member Gillian Rosenquist, who is the Council liaison to the Civil Service Commission. The Chief of Police will serve as the staff liaison.
Applications are due by 4:30 pm Oct 19, 2020. Mail or email completed form to Tomas Romano, Assistant To The City Manager’s Office, City of Golden Valley, 7800 Golden Valley Rd, Golden Valley, MN 55427.
Learn more on the Police Commission Task Force web page.
This entry posted in | Police Department