Permits & Licenses

Electronic Plan Review Instructions

To get you started, read our ePlans Quick Reference Guide or our ePlans User Guide.

Previously Issued Permits

To find permits issued from 1995 to present, go to the e-permits application page, click "Search for Permits," and fill in the house number and street address of the property.

More Permits & Licenses

We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our dropdowns. Please click on any title below to activate the dropdown. We apologize for any inconvenience.

+Alcohol at Brookview Park

Groups or individuals renting a Brookview Park picnic shelter who wish to serve beer or wine must purchase a special permit for $50, payable at the time the reservation is made.

+Block Parties

To stage a block party, neighbors must present the Police Department with a petition signed by all residents affected by the street closing at least two weeks in advance. If the petition requirement cannot be met, neighbors must obtain City Council approval for the street closing. Upon approval, City Public Works staff will deliver street barricades the last working day before the street closing. Barricades will be left with the responsible person listed on the petition, and that person is in charge of placing and removing the barricades. City crews will pick up pick up the barricades on the nearest work day following the street closing.

+Door-to-door Sales and Soliciting

Anyone wishing to do door-to-door sales or fundraising must obtain the Peddlers & Solicitors License from the City, carry the license with them, and show it on request. Residents should check for the appropriate license.


Fireworks displays can only be staged by persons who have passed a state certification test and have a valid Minnesota fireworks operator's license. Without such permits and qualifications, ownership and displays of fireworks are illegal and are punishable misdemeanors with a fine of up to $750 or 90 days in jail. Even basic fireworks, like sparklers and snakes, are illegal in Minnesota. Fireworks operators must request a permit from the Fire Department two weeks in advance.

Permit requires rental of fire engine and crew to stand by at display.
Application  |  Fees

+Gun Purchase/Carry

Purchasing a gun requires a permit. Gun-owners who wish to carry their weapons must also obtain a special permit. For more information, contact the Police Department.

+Home-Based Occupations

Home-based businesses have special regulations. Please see City Code 113-88, Subdivision 17. Questions? Call the Planning Department at 763-593-8095.

+Hood And Duct Cleaning

For inspection of commercial cooking ventilations systems.
Application  |  Fee: $75 (Re-inspection fee: $150)

+Load Limit Waiver

When spring load restrictions are in effect on City streets, traffic on all City streets is limited to a maximum weight of 6 tons per axle. The City may issue a load limit waiver for a single trip with a maximum load of 7 tons per axle. Only one waiver will be issued per project per season. Please submit your waiver application to the Public Works office (7800 Golden Valley Rd) in person at or email it to Be sure to include a sketch showing project location and proposed haul route.

+ Native Vegetation Permit

+No Parking Waiver

This permit is required to temporarily suspend enforcement of a no parking zone in Golden Valley. The application form for the permit is due at least one week in advance of the date on which the event it to occur. City staff may require additional information from the event organizer before approving the permit.

+ Recreational Fire Permit

+Resident Parking

Residents who live in parking-restricted areas must obtain parking permits for guests.

+Residential Rental Property

Golden Valley City ordinance requires all residential property owners who rent out their property to have a rental license. This includes single family homes, townhomes, duplexes, condominiums, and group homes.

+Right-Of-Way (ROW)

Unless otherwise provided in the City Code, no person may obstruct or excavate in the right-of-way (ROW) without first obtaining a ROW permit from the City.


As outlined in City Code Chapter 105, the City of Golden Valley regulates signage and requires permits before signs are constructed or erected (some exceptions apply). Download sign permit application.

+ Special Event Permit

+Tent/Temporary Assemblies

Permit and pre-event fire inspection required for all temporary structures over 400 square feet with sides and over 700 square feet with no sides.
General Requirements
Application  | Fee: $50/first tent, $25/each additional tent

+Temporary LP and Fuel Tanks

Application  | Fee (per tank): $75

+Winter Parking Restriction Waiver Permit

This permit is required to temporarily suspend enforcement of the 2-6 am (Nov 1-March 31) on-street parking restriction in Golden Valley. Each permit is for one night only. Vehicles are allowed three waivers of one night each per winter season. All waivers are temporary and void during snowfalls of 2 inches or more until snow has stopped falling and the streets are cleared curb to curb. The application form is due three days before the parking waiver is needed.