Pets and Animal Control

The Golden Valley Police Department can help with issues regarding animal problems. This service is limited to situations dealing with pets and wild animals that are an immediate threat to public safety.

+ Pets

Pet Ordinances

Complete rules for keeping pets in Golden Valley are found in City Code Chapter 6.


  • Cat owners are required to have their cat(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the cat's collar.
  • City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three cats.


  • The City of Golden Valley does not require licenses for dogs.
  • Dog owners are required to have their dog(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the dog's collar.
  • Dogs must be leashed at all times while on public land.
  • Leashes must not exceed 20 feet in length and must be shortened to 6 feet when another person or animal is within 20 feet.
  • Dogs may not be kep on private land without being adequately supervised and effectively restrained from going beyond such private land by voice control, leash, tether, fence, or electronic pet fence.
  • City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three dogs.

Seasonal Off-Leash Pet Areas (Dog Parks)

Pet Waste

Owners shall not allow their pets (dogs or cats) to foul any lawn, garden, or other property and are required to carry supplies for excrement removal when walking their pets. Any mess made by a pet must be cleaned up (including in public parks).

Pet Noise

It is unlawful for anyone to keep a dog or cat that barks, howls, or meows excessively or continuously. This includes any noise by any dog or cat that can be:

  • heard by any person from a location outside of the building where the animal is kept AND
  • occurs repeatedly over at least a five-minute period of time, with less than 30 seconds between each animal noise

+ Seasonal Off-Leash Pet Areas


Two seasonal off-leash pet exercise areas are available in the outdoor hockey rinks at Gearty and Medley Parks.

Both areas are available free of charge and feature access gates and waste receptacles.

Winter closure notifications will be posted here and at the parks. Areas are open spring through fall and will close when crews begin preparing the hockey rinks for winter use.

Pet Exercise Area Rules

  • Off-leash pet areas are open during park hours, 7 am–10 pm and all park rules apply to the pet exercise area.
  • Owners must have verbal control of their pets to prevent aggressive behavior, fighting, and excessive barking.
  • Dogs must be leashed before entering and when exiting the areas. Owners must also carry a leash at all times.
  • Owners must clean up and properly dispose of feces.
  • All pets must be properly licensed and up-to-date on vaccinations.
  • Infants and small children must be kept out of the off-leash area.
  • Dog parks are unsupervised and patrons are to use the area at their own risk. Dog owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries or damages they may cause.

+ Missing Pets (Animal Impound)

There are no animals in impound at this time.

Report A Missing Pet

If you would like to list your pet as being lost, contact the Golden Valley Police Department at 763-593-8079 or

How Do I Reclaim My Pet?

If you believe one of the animals above is your pet, visit the Golden Valley Police Department, 7800 Golden Valley Road, or call 763-593-8079 to make arrangements to claim your pet. Animal impounds fees may apply. Pets that are not claimed in seven days are transferred to the Golden Valley Humane Society.

+ Keeping of Chickens

In accordance with City Code Section 6-71, Golden Valley residents may keep up to four hen chickens on their property after obtaining a valid license from the City.


  • No more than four chickens are allowed per licensed residence.
  • Roosters are prohibited.
  • Chickens must be confined to the licensed residence at all times, in a chicken coop or chicken run, and may not be kept in any part of the principal dwelling, garage, front yard, or side yard.
  • The butchering of chickens is prohibited.
  • All chicken grains and feed must be stored in a rodent-proof container.
  • The use of chickens for cockfighting is prohibited.

Coop and Run Regulations

  • All chickens shall be provided access to both a coop and run.
  • All fencing and electrical work associated with the chicken coop or run shall be consistent with City building and zoning codes, including obtaining proper permits and licenses.
  • Any chicken coop or run shall be set back at least 10 feet from the principal dwelling, 50 feet from principal dwellings on adjacent lots, and 10 feet from the property line. The coop and run shall be located closer to the principal dwelling of the licensed property than to any principal dwelling on adjacent properties.
  • Any coop or run shall be set back at least 25 feet from the following features:
    • a delineated wetland edge
    • the top of a bank of a pond, filtration basin, or infiltration basin
  • Chicken coops shall have a maximum footprint area of 10 square feet per chicken and a minimum footprint area of 5 square feet per chicken.
  • Chicken runs shall have a maximum footprint area of 20 square feet per chicken and a minimum footprint area of 10 square feet per chicken.
  • The coop shall be elevated a minimum of 12 inches above ground and may not exceed a height of 6 feet as measured from the ground.
  • No coop or run shall be located in any form of easement or right-of-way.
  • The coop and run shall be completely enclosed and rodent proof.
  • The coop shall provide adequate protection from the elements and be winterized.
  • Residents must remove the coop from the property when they no longer keep chickens.


  • An initial inspection for the coop is $75, with a $25 annual license fee that expires every April 1.
  • Licenses must be obtained annually and expire each April 1.
  • License application fees are due upon submittal of the license application.
  • The City may deny or revoke any license application or renewal if it deems the applicant:
    • is unwilling or unable to fulfill the provision of the ordinance
    • fails to comply with the provisions of the ordinance
    • submits inaccurate or incomplete license information
    • fails to meet the conditions of the license
    • is creating a nuisance
    • is endangering the public health and safety
  • An initial inspection of the property, coop, and run is required before a license can be issued. A similar inspection is required for license renewals.
  • The City may inspect the licensed property at any time to ensure compliance with the ordinance.

Private Restrictions or Covenants on Property

Private restrictions or covenants on the use of property shall remain enforceable. These include, but are not limited to, deed restrictions, condominium master deed restrictions, neighborhood association by-laws, and covenant declarations.

A license issued to a person whose premises are subject to private restrictions and/or covenants that prohibit the keeping of chickens is void. The interpretation and enforcement of the private restrictions is the sole responsibility of the private parties involved.

+ Wildlife

Wildlife Feeding Ban

Golden Valley City Code Section 6-2 forbids the feeding of wild animals. This includes keeping salt licks or one-half cubic foot or more of grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, seed or other edible material either on the ground or at a height of less than 5 feet above the ground.

This ban does not apply to employees or agents of the City, County, State, Federal government, or veterinarians who are performing their official duties.

Live Trapping

Live trapping of nuisance wild animals is allowed only after permission has been granted by the Police Chief. To obtain permission to live trap wild nuisance animals, please submit a written request to the Police Chief. For more information, contact 763-593-8079

Deer Management

When deer populations get too large, they can cause an imbalance to the ecosystem. View Golden Valley's deer management plan 9MB.

For tips to help keep deer off your property, visit the MN DNR website.

Goose and Turkey Management Plan

With guidance from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR), the City of Golden Valley and the Open Space & Recreation Commission (OSRC) are looking to develop a Turkey Management Plan (TMP) and Goose Management Plan (GMP) in hopes of addressing public safety concerns and community nuisance issues.

At its Jan 2, 2019 meeting, the Golden Valley City Council approved the GMP and the TMP. Both plans are expected to be implemented before the end of 2019.