Complete rules for keeping pets in Golden Valley are found in City Code Chapter 6.
- Cat owners are required to have their cat(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the cat's collar.
- City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three cats.
- The City of Golden Valley does not require licenses for dogs.
- Dog owners are required to have their dog(s) vaccinated for rabies and to affix the rabies tag to the dog's collar.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times while on public land.
- Leashes must not exceed 20 feet in length and must be shortened to 6 feet when another person or animal is within 20 feet.
- Dogs may not be kept on private land without being adequately supervised and effectively restrained from going beyond such private land by voice control, leash, tether, fence, or electronic pet fence.
- City Code prohibits Golden Valley residents from keeping more than three dogs.
Owners shall not allow their pets (dogs or cats) to foul any lawn, garden, or other property and are required to carry supplies for excrement removal when walking their pets. Any mess made by a pet must be cleaned up (including in public parks).
It is unlawful for anyone to keep a dog or cat that barks, howls, or meows excessively or continuously. This includes any noise by any dog or cat that can be:
- heard by any person from a location outside of the building where the animal is kept and
- occurs repeatedly over at least a five-minute period of time, with less than 30 seconds between each animal noise