Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
The City of Golden Valley's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is a deputy registrar office that handles registration and licensing of motor vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, and ATVs. The Department also issues fishing and hunting licenses. Staff includes a supervisor and three license clerks.
The Golden Valley DMV is open for walk-in services Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.
The Golden Valley DMV provides licensing and title transfer services for:
- cars & trucks
- motorcycles (bring engine number with you)
- out of state vehicles
- all-terrain vehicles (ATV)
What To Bring
- The registered owner's or spouse's signature (required)
- Renewal notice (if you do not have the renewal notice, please be prepared to provide your vehicle license plate number so State records can be accessed)
- Current insurance information for your vehicle (company name, policy number, and expiration month, day, and year)
Fees vary, depending on type and size of vehicle.
Fishing and hunting licenses are available at the Golden Valley DMV in City Hall. Small game and fishing licenses are valid from March 1 to April 30 the following year. Licenses are available for deer season shortly before it begins in early November.
An ID is required to purchase a fishing (or hunting) license. The electronic licensing system (ELS) requires that Minnesota residents furnish a driver’s license, public safety identification card, or DNR firearms safety training card as proof of residency. With few exceptions, people who have not been issued one of these types of identifiers will need to get one before buying a hunting or fishing license. Licenses cannot be issued to Minnesota residents who cannot furnish one of these types of identifying numbers.
Place the following in an envelope and drop in the Utility Drop Box near the front door of City Hall and your new tabs will be mailed to you*:
- renewal bill from the state (include both top and bottom halves)
- if you do not have a renewal notice, please fill out the Vehicle Registration Authorization Form (PDF)
- insurance company name, policy number, and expiration date
- check or money order, payable to City of Golden Valley
- driver’s license number on the check
- phone number on the envelope so we can call you if needed
You can also mail your paperwork and check to:
Golden Valley DMV
7800 Golden Valley Rd
Golden Valley, MN 55427
*If your renewal includes a license plate replacement, you will need to pick up the plates in person. Please make sure to include a phone number on the envelope.
The following information, courtesy of the Minnesota Deputy Registrars Association, will help you properly transfer ownership of a used vehicle. Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is NOT finished until the completed title is turned in at the registrar or deputy registrar's office, where the excise tax and related fees are paid.
- Provide title from state in which vehicle was last licensed. If current title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate. The title must show:
- the mileage as it appears on the odometer
- the current owner(s) name(s) -- all owner(s) must sign as seller(s).
- Provide signed release from any lienholder(s) listed on the title (bank, credit union, or individual from whom money was borrowed). The sale cannot be completed without this document.
- On the title, print full name(s), address(es), date(s) of birth and driver's license number(s) of buyer(s).
- If money was borrowed to purchase the vehicle, provide complete name and address of lienholder(s) and date of lien to be printed on the title. If no money was borrowed, check "None" for no lien.
- Sign the title.
The Golden Valley DMV offers limited driver's license services, including duplicate licenses and change of address.
The Golden Valley DMV DOES NOT handle driver's licenses renewals or photos, nor does it handle change of name (which requires a new photo). If you need to take the road test or renew your driver's license, contact the Minnesota Driver's Exam Station in Plymouth at 651-284-1000 (hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm).
For additional locations in the metro area for driver's license information, call 651-297-2126.
To have something notarized, you will need to have your driver's license or a picture ID. There is a charge of $5 per notary stamp.
- We do not do passports
- Photocopies: 25 cents each
- Duplicate titles