Residents may vote by absentee ballot for any election. Absentee ballots will be available 46 days prior to the election. For the Municipal Election Nov 7, 2023, absentee ballots are available starting Sept 22, 2023. Learn about your voting options below.
Vote Absentee In Person
The in-person absentee ballot process from Sept 22 through Oct 30 involves the use of envelopes. The entire absentee balloting process can be completed in person at Golden Valley City Hall, 2nd floor, 7800 Golden Valley Rd. City Hall is open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.
To vote absentee, voters must fill out an application when arriving at City Hall. Election workers will review the application and issue a ballot to vote on site.
Vote Early by Direct Balloting In-Person
Direct balloting allows residents to vote in person and place their ballots through a tabulator (just like on election day). Voters must fill out an application when arriving at City Hall before a ballot can be issued to the voter. This process is available 18 days before an election. For the 2023 Municipal Election, direct balloting (early voting) begins Friday, Oct 20.
Direct balloting hours at Golden Valley City Hall, 2nd floor, 7800 Golden Valley Road:
- Friday, Oct 20 to Friday, Nov 3
8 am to 4:30 pm
- Saturday, Nov 4
9 am to 3 pm
- Monday, Nov 6
8 am to 5 pm
Vote Absentee By Mail
To receive an absentee ballot, you'll need to complete an absentee ballot application (PDF). Once your completed and signed application is received, your absentee ballot will be mailed to you with instructions. There are several ways to apply for an absentee ballot:
- Email, Mail, or Fax - Download the absentee ballot application (PDF) and send the completed form by:
- mail (Hennepin County Elections, PSL 012
300 South 6th Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55487)
- fax: 612-348-2151
If you're unable to download the application, call 612-348-5151 to request that an absentee ballot application be sent to you.
Vote By Agent
In special situations, you may ask an agent to pick up and return an absentee ballot for you starting seven days before the election. This is called agent delivery. Visit the Minnesota Secretary of State website for more information or call the City Clerk at 763-593-8012.
Military & Overseas Voters
If you are in the military or residing overseas, there is a different process for applying and voting by absentee ballot. Visit the Hennepin County website for more information.
Track Your Absentee Ballot
You can track your absentee ballot using the Absentee Ballot Status Lookup feature on the Minnesota Secretary of State website.
Check Voter Registration Status
Check your voter registration status if you are already registered to vote at your current address.
Register to Vote
You may register to vote at any time except for the 20 days preceding an election. Register here.
Register on Election Day
You can register or update your registration when you vote, whether that is at your polling place on Election Day or at an early voting location. You will need proof of residence to register. Learn more about registering when you vote.
The City is divided into eight precincts and two school districts:
- All precincts are in Congressional District 5.
- All precincts are in State Senate District 43 and State Legislative District 43B.
- All precincts are in Hennepin County District 2.
- Precincts 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 are in Robbinsdale School District 281.
- Precincts 3, 5, and 8 are in Hopkins School District 270.
On Election Day, you must vote in your own precinct. Use the Minnesota Secretary of State Polling Place Locator or find your precinct location by viewing the Precinct Map (PDF).
- Municipal Election - Nov 7, 2023
- Precinct 1 (Northeast Fire Station, 3700 Golden Valley Road)
- Precinct 2 (Valley Presbyterian Church, 3100 North Lilac Drive)
- Precinct 3 (Meadowbrook School, 5430 Glenwood Avenue)
- Precinct 4 (Sandburg Middle School, 2400 Sandburg Lane)
- Precinct 5 (Southeast Fire Station, 400 Turners Crossroad South)
- Precinct 6 (Golden Valley City Hall, 7800 Golden Valley Road)
- Precinct 7 (Sandburg Middle School, 2400 Sandburg Lane)
- Precinct 8 (Brookview, 316 Brookview Parkway South)