- Yard & Garden Maintenance
- Yard Waste Disposal
Yard Waste Disposal
State law prohibits the disposal of yard, brush, and tree waste in landfills or solid waste facilities. Use the disposal options listed, or ask your garbage hauler about the cost and procedure for yard waste disposal.
Golden Valley's recycling program includes a three-week curbside brush pick-up in May and a three-weekend leaf drop-off program in the fall, as long as funds are available. The annual brush pick-up gives homeowners the opportunity to place tree limbs and brush at their curbs for collection and disposal.
|City Area||Pick-Up Starts|
Area north of Highway 55/west of Douglas Drive
April 24, 7 am
Area north of Highway 55/east of Douglas Drive
May 1, 7 am
Area south of 55
May 8, 7 am
Please observe the following guidelines when preparing your brush for pickup:
- Brush must be placed on the curb by 7 am Monday the week of pick-up.
- Tree limbs and brush must be less than 4 inches in diameter and approximately 8 feet long. Stack so the larger ends face the street (limbs do not have to be tied). Do not use plastic bags.
- Condense brush to one pile per household. Trucks will stop only once at each property, so if there is more than one pile, only one will be picked up.
- Keep brush and limbs completely clear of sidewalks, mailboxes, street lights, and sign poles, landscaping and fences, overhead tree branches, and power lines. If piles don't fit between the curb and sidewalk, place them on the boulevard behind the sidewalk. The contractor uses trucks with automated loading arms to pick up the brush piles. If your brush is stacked near a restricted area or tossed in a pile rather than stacked, it will be left behind. The contractor will not load brush by hand.
- No leaves, grass clippings, stumps, roots, limbs exceeding the size limits, building lumber, landscape timbers, or bags of garbage will be picked up. If any of these items are mixed in the brush stacks, the entire stack will be left behind. The contractor will not sort through brush stacks for acceptable material.
Golden Valley's recycling program includes a three-week curbside brush pick-up in May and a three-weekend leaf drop-off program in the fall, as long as funds are available. Golden Valley's annual fall leaf drop-off provides residents a monitored site to dispose of their leaves at no charge during the last weekend in October and the first two weekends in November.
2023 Leaf Drop-Off Dates
- Saturday, October 28, 8 am to 1 pm
- Saturday, November 4, 8 am to 1 pm
- Friday, November 10, 8 am to 3 pm
- Saturday, November 11, 7 am to 1 pm
Large parking lot at Brookview Park
South of Highway 55 at Winnetka Avenue
During drop-off days, Brookview Parkway will become a one-way road. All traffic must enter the site from Winnetka Avenue and exit on Western Avenue. Traffic personnel will direct vehicles to drop-off points where residents can unload or de-bag leaves.
- Participants must provide proof of Golden Valley residency (Minnesota driver's license, ID, or proof of identity and address).
- City staff will de-bag leaves at the site, and residents must take the bags home for reuse or disposal (see tips below for conserving bags). This includes compostable bags, as the disposal site requires all leaves to be unbagged. No brush will be accepted.
- For fast unloading and to conserve your bags, leave them untied if possible. If you must tie them, do so loosely or use the yellow or clear plastic tabs (they break open easily). Bags that are tightly knotted or tightly tied with wire “twisties” will be cut open to save time.
- If you're hauling loose leaves, line the trailer or truck bed with a tarp before loading the leaves. Remain in your vehicle at all times while City staff lift the corners of the tarp and dump the leaves into the disposal box.
For a fee, Golden Valley residents may take lawn and garden waste to the Maple Grove Yard Waste Site.
10300 Maple Grove Pkwy N, Maple Grove
- Take I-94W to Maple Grove Parkway (County Road 30 / Exit 213) in Maple Grove. Go over 610. The entrance is the first dirt road on your right.
- Open April 1 through November 30
- Monday through Saturday, 8 am to 7 pm
- Sunday, 11 am to 7 pm
Fees & Additional Information
Material must be de-bagged at the site, and bags must be removed. For fees and additional information, visit the Maple Grove Yard Waste Site website.