- Community Engagement
- Volunteer Opportunities
Golden Valley's Volunteer Services program aims to strengthen community engagement by connecting the talents, interests, and abilities of individuals and groups with projects that enrich City programs and services, from public safety and government to recreation and events.
Similar to the City’s Adopt-A-Park program, residents and organizations can now adopt dog waste bag stations at Golden Valley parks. The City will purchase and install bag stations at each sponsored park. Neighborhood volunteers will be tasked with restocking the stations with bio-degradable bags throughout the year.
New sponsored dog bag stations can be located in the neighborhood park area indicated by the sponsor. Sponsor name (individual, neighborhood, company or organization) will be recognized on each station sign.
- Initial year sponsorship (dog bag unit, synthetic post, concrete, installation, sponsorship sign, dog bags): $375
- Annual sponsorship for dog bags: $160
Once application is submitted and sponsorship paid, the City will install the dog bag station and deliver dog bags to the volunteer’s address.
Volunteer will store the bags and stock the dog bag station throughout the year.
Sponsorship includes an initial one-year supply of bags. The City will contact sponsors in November to see if they want to continue bag sponsorships for the following year.
For more information, email Recreation Coordinator Maddy Champa or call at 763-512-2341.
Adopt-A-Park is a public service program for volunteers to help Golden Valley keep its parks beautiful. Although the main focus is picking up litter, assistance is also needed to identify safety hazards and communicate other issues associated with each park.
How does it work?
The program is open to community groups, civic organizations, churches, businesses, and individuals willing to make a minimum two-year commitment.
The Golden Valley Park & Recreation Department will make final approval and sign a simple agreement with participating groups or individuals.
Volunteers will keep an eye on their adopted parks, report any vandalism or unsafe conditions observed, and pick up litter at least twice a year. The City provides all necessary trash bags and pick-up of full bags.
Parks Up For Adoption
At this time, all parks are adopted.
To adopt a park, contact Golden Valley Parks & Recreation at 763-512-2345
Golden Valley’s Junior Playground Leader Program provides youth ages 13-15 with a volunteer opportunity to gain leadership experience and valuable work skills by assisting recreation staff with playground programs.
This volunteer program requires candidates to submit an application, participate in an interview, complete a background check, and fulfill two assigned shifts per week (for six weeks).
Junior Playground Leader Program Application
- Work as a member of a leadership team that provides outdoor fun for youth programs
- Lead program participants in organized games
- Assist staff with supervision of participants and setting up program activities
- Option to attend any one summer Golden Valley Parks and Recreation field trip at no cost
- Recognition from City leadership
- Time Period: One weekly practice in the evenings (Monday through Thursday) and one game each Saturday between noon and 5 pm. Season runs early January through mid-March.
- Responsibilities: Coach recreational basketball teams for boys and girls in grades 2 though 7.
- Time Period: Season runs from early September through October.
- Responsibilities: Coach a youth soccer team for one practice per week and one game per week (Saturday afternoon) for kids in grade K through 6.
View the Volunteer Application (PDF).
The City of Golden Valley does background checks on volunteers working with children.
First Friday in August, noon to 3 pm, at Brookview Park
- Run easy “carnival” games
- Collect pennies
- Hand out prizes
- Some set-up and take-down
Qualifications or Skills
Enjoy interacting with youth ages 4 to 12
Able to work outdoors in a shaded area
Supper With Santa
First Friday in December, 5:30- to :30 pm, at Brookview Golden Valley
- Help with setup, activities, and clean-up at Golden Valley’s annual evening with Santa for children and families.
View the Volunteer Application (PDF).