Renting Out Your Home

The responsibilities that go along with being a landlord and a tenant are governed not only by the State, but also by local ordinances. Golden Valley City Code (Section 16-53) requires all residential property owners who rent out their property to be licensed.

The City passed this ordinance to help ensure the continued health, safety, and welfare of all Golden Valley residents who live in rental properties and in surrounding neighborhoods. Since operating a rental property is a business, doing so also requires that certain responsibilities and standards be upheld.

Properties That Require Licensing

  • Single family homes
  • Duplexes/twin homes
  • Townhomes
  • Condominiums
  • Group homes/homes with services (except those already licensed by the State)
  • Multi-family (three or more units) complexes

Failure to get a rental license may lead to misdemeanor charges.

Properties Exempt From Licensing

  • Retail, commercial, and industrial rentals
  • State-licensed nursing homes, group homes, and assisted living facilities
  • Homes rented to relatives

The licensing process takes about 30 days:

  1. Download, complete, and print a Rental License Application Packet (PDF), or request an application be mailed to you by calling the City's Property Maintenance Inspector at 763-593-8074. When completing the application, be aware of the following:
    • The application must be filled out completely with the owner's name, address, phone number, local agent, and emergency contact information. A local agent is required if the property owner lives outside of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Service Area (Counties of Hennepin, Ramsey, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Scott, Washington, Sherburne, or Wright).
    • A Department of Revenue information form must be completed for all new applications. If applicant is an individual, the personal information section must be completed, including social security number. If applicant is a business, the business information section must be completed, including Minnesota and Federal tax identification numbers
    • Applicants must be current on property taxes and utility accounts at all times. Do not submit an application if there is any outstanding debt owed
  2. Deliver completed application with $125 fee to the Golden Valley Public Safety Building, or mail application with fee to:
    • Fire Department
      Attn: Jill Lund
      7800 Golden Valley Road
      Golden Valley, MN 55427
  3. Per Ordinance Number 435 Section 2.1, no licenses will be issued/renewed until all fees, charges, taxes, special assessments, and other debts or obligations that are due from the applicant are paid in full. This means the City of Golden Valley water and sewer utility bill also needs to be paid in full before licenses are renewed. No amount can be certified
  4. Once a complete application and fee are received, you will be contacted to schedule a health safety inspection of the interior and exterior of the property. If no violations are found, you will be issued a license through the mail. If violations are found, you will be given a designated period to fix them. The application packet includes interior and exterior checklists to help you prepare for an inspection

If you have questions about the rental licensing process, call 763-593-8057.