- Permits & Licenses
- Mobile Vending
Mobile vendors and service providers are self-contained vehicles or trailers used in a variety of different applications such as food trucks, mobile medical care, or mobile pet grooming. These uses are temporary rather than permanent businesses and permitted by the City of Golden Valley to operate within city limits (City Code Section 113-31).
Annual Registration: To be filled out by anyone or any business intending to operate a mobile food truck or mobile vending unit.
- $40 per calendar year
Event Permit: To be filled out by any owner/operator of a mobile vending unit or by the business hosting the event.
- $50 in a City Park
- $30 for all other locations
- All mobile food vendors must be inspected by an authorized agency and possess a current mobile food vendor license from Hennepin County or a current mobile food vendor license from the MN Department of Agriculture. A copy of this license must be attached to the permit application and must be displayed in the vehicle.
- For other mobile vendors, any relevant state and county licenses as well as proof of insurance will be required as part of the permit application.
- Event permits are valid only for the dates and times specified.
- No refunds will be given for any reason once the permit has been issued.
- The vendor must comply with all City Code parking, signage, lighting, and noise regulations.
- The vendor must provide trash receptacles for customer use and keep the site in a neat and orderly fashion. Vendors are responsible for clean-up and trash removal generated from their operation in the immediate area.
- Vendors in City parks or in public right-of-way will be assessed for all damages or extra trash clean-up generated by their operation (if required).
- Vendors found operating without a permit or in areas not designated in the list below will be subject to a citation.
- Permits will be limited by area.
- At all locations, the vendor must have written permission from the property owner.
- The vendor must not be located closer than 200 feet to a permanent business offering similar products or services (food trucks near a restaurant) unless written permission is given by the restaurant proprietor of the permanent establishment. The distance is measured from the front door or outdoor seating area of establishment (whichever is closer to the mobile food vendor).
- The vendor must not be located closer than 1,000 feet to a school, while school is in session, unless written permission is given by the principal of the school. The distance is measured from any entrance to the school. The restriction does not apply to proximity from other mobile vendors.
- Vendors must park in a designated parking lot and must not impede normal traffic flow. The vehicle must be located on paved surfaces, but not on parking stalls (unless it has been proven that the business does not need those spaces) and not on any street, alley, sidewalk, or boulevard (unless it can be demonstrated that there is sufficient space in the public right of way with a detailed sketch plan). If vehicle is located on a City street, service window must face curbside.
- Vendors may not park on the grass or pathways (unless special permission is authorized).
- Vendors must be located at least 10 feet from all structures.
- Vendors must be located at least 5 feet from all property lines.
- All vendors operating on City property (parks) or in public right-of-way must provide an insurance rider listing the City of Golden Valley as an additional insured on the policy for the permitted dates of operation. Parks available for permits include Brookview, Gearty, Hampshire, Lakeview, Lions, Medley, Scheid, and Wesley.
Dates & Hours of Operation
- Permitted hours of operation are 8 am-10 pm, Monday-Sunday unless otherwise extended by the City Manager or their designee. Vendors should plan to vacate the permitted location at the end of operating hours in all cases.
- For non-residential locations, event permits may be up to three (3) days for targeted events or seasonally for regularly occurring events.
- For properties zoned Single-Family Residential (R-1) or Moderate Density Residential (R-2) no more than two (2) single day events per calendar year involving mobile vendors are permitted at the address provided in the application.
- Complete the annual Mobile Vending Unit Registration and submit to the City's Planning Division.
- Complete the Mobile Vending Unit Event Permit Application and determine if you submit to Parks and Rec or the Planning Division.
- Include the following required attachments:
- Hennepin County or Department of Agriculture Mobile Food License (for mobile food vendors only). If you're unsure, use Hennepin County's decision guide.
- Sketch illustrating where food truck will be located. You may use the Hennepin County Interactive Property Map, zoom in to Golden Valley to find your site of interest. Sketch and label the location of your mobile vending vehicle on the map. If you need to use the measuring tool, click the “measure” button in the bottom left corner of the screen and follow the directions. Note: Staff realizes all measurements are approximate. For help finding exact measurements, contact the City's Planning Division.
- Insurance rider (required only for mobile vending units that will be located on City-owned property or public right-of-way) evidencing the applicant’s public liability, food products liability, automobile liability, and property damage insurance and that the City is or will be named as an additional insured on such insurance for all the permitted days of operation. Such insurance shall be maintained without change for the duration of the permitted days of operation. The permit will not be processed without the proper insurance certificate.
- Bring application, required attachments, and fee (if applicable) to:
- Planning office on the first floor of City Hall, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parks & Recreation office at Brookview, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm (applications for mobile vending in parks only)